SR-17 Fuel Break Project Status
This Week’s Work Progress – November 4-8 (Week 11):
Work continued this week from Madrone Drive (Redwood Estates) to Old Santa Cruz Hwy. Crews removed ladder fuels in the Moody Gulch area and hazard trees around Alma Station. There were lane closures on SR-17 northbound from Monday through Thursday, 9:00AM to 3:00PM, from the Summit Road interchange to Bear Creek Road.
Next Week – November 11-15 (Week 12):
NO WORK ON MONDAY NOV 11: VETERANS DAY.
SR-17 northbound lane closures this week from 9:00AM to 3:00PM:
Tuesday Nov 12 and Wednesday Nov 13: Madrone Drive (Redwood Estates) to Idylwild.
Thursday Nov 14: Summit Road to Madrone Drive (Redwood Estates).
No lane closures Friday Nov 15.
Users of the Los Gatos Creek Trail may be experience brief delays while crews remove hazard trees and vegetation. Trail users are advised to maintain a safe distance when encountering crews and equipment and may use St. Joseph’s Trail as an alternate route. Safety signs at Main Street Bridge and Alma Bridge Road show map of alternate route.
November 18-22 (Week 13):
SR-17 northbound lane closures Nov 18-21 from 9:00AM to 3:00PM will be from Summit Road to Redwood Estates. Erosion control work will occur between Big Moody Curve and Bear Creek Road; rolling shoulder closures will be in place. Additionally, erosion control work will be conducted on the Los Gatos Creek Trail between the dam face and Main Street in Los Gatos, which may impact trail use/access.
- Please plan your northbound SR-17 trips before 9:00AM and after 3:00PM if possible.
- Traffic impacts to the SR-17 corridor will occur during weeks 12 and 13. Stay informed of delays and alternate routes. 511.org and www.firesafe17.com .
- The project team is working to minimize traffic impacts whenever possible on local and regional travel and will provide weekly updates to residents and highway drivers.
- Over the next several months, crews will be working along SR-17 and adjacent communities. Traffic in the communities and along SR-17 will be intermittently impacted.
- Besides electronic media, several physical locations in the area where you can get updated information. Redwood Estates Pavilion, Redwood Estates Post Office, Redwood Estates Store, Chemeketa Park, Loma School, Lakeside School bulletin boards will be updated regularly.
Please plan for extended travel times, as shoulder and lane closures will impact traffic and cause delays.